On this page I keep a repository of interesting longform articles I’ve read from all over the web.
- A cult psychedelic drug camp in South Africa
- Surprisingly beautiful article about the nostalgia of fast food
- An erudite and informed history of the problematic state of Yemen
- Wired’s optimistic take on the Apple watch and its ability to transform our relationship with smartphones
- Interesting Vice article about Huntsville, Texas, a city built around a complex of prisons and the execution capital of America.
- In-depth look at the problems Hillary Clinton’s campaign will face next year.
- David Simon, creator of The Wire, interviews Richard Price
- Very interesting 538 piece about the world championships in crossword puzzles
- New Yorker profile of Elizabeth Warren
- Excerpt from a David Simon speech about the failures of capitalism in American society
- A very factual and chilling account of a controversial botched execution by lethal injection in Oklahoma
- Best article I’ve read about ISIS so far
- Interesting article about the discrepancies in the trans-Tasman relationship
- Great New Yorker piece on the utter unbelievability of America’s gun laws
- Immigration problems in a part of the world I didn’t know anything at all about (the Dominican Republic)
- A fantastically written introduction to the philosophy of programming for the layperson
- Article about the fishing industry and its sustainability problems
- John Siracusa’s yearly review of the new OSX.
- Another member of the Israeli intelligentsia distancing himself from the State of Israel
- As the US midterms get closer, an interesting piece on the enduring power of former president Bill Clinton
- Great article about the controversial contribution of Airbnb to New York City culture
- A sports journalist spends some time at a table tennis convention
- An accessible look at the garbage science used by climate change skeptics
- Article on another (albeit small) hurdle to the Israel-Palestine peace process
- Old profile of Alan Jones by David Salter
- Great article about a big-time counterfeit operation in the USA
- Profile of the nascent content moderation industry and the unforeseen toll it takes on its employees